Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Jasmin Savoy Brown

Photo Courtesy Of Jasmin Savoy Brown

WHERE WERE YOU BORN AND RAISED AND WHERE DO YOU PRESENTLY LIVE?
I was born in Alameda, California, raised in Springfield, Oregon (though I sometimes tell people I’m a New Yorker because I feel that in my heart), and currently I am shooting in Wales, UK for the next three months but I have a home base in Korea Town in Los Angeles.

WHAT’S UP IN YOUR CITY?
Not sure what's up in Wales to be honest. I just moved here three days ago! But in Los Angeles, lots is up. I'm very proud of my city. It's progressive and forward thinking, full of love and liberation. I am surrounded by beautiful souls - artists, activists, homemakers, business people, several different ethnicities, religious beliefs, sexual orientations and identities... All of these incredible and different people inhabiting a shared space. It's quite extraordinary.

WHAT WERE YOUR CHILDHOOD ASPIRATIONS?
I always knew I'd be an actor/singer. As a child, I also dreamed of being an astronaut (I still dream of venturing into space, and plan to one day), becoming a teacher (I still love teaching), having a family (definitely on my to do list), falling in love, and changing the world. As I've grown older, the aspiration of changing the world has felt more a dream than an aspiration, especially with what's happening in the world lately - but I've come to realize changing the world must begin small scale. If I can make someone smile today, or better yet, show someone love, I’m changing the world. Love gives way to love gives way to love. It will make it’s way all around the world and back again.

WHY ACTING?
It's in my bones. There is nothing else to me on this earth that compares to storytelling. If I couldn't be acting I may as well not be alive. Dramatic, but true. I love that I get to say all of the things I want to say but don't have the courage to in real life. Acting has made me more courageous. I love that I'm given a glimpse into the minds of people - giving me new perspectives and a deeper pool of love. Acting has made me a better person. Through acting I get to be everything I want to be but don't have time for. Acting lets me play! And I love touching people, making them think, and making them laugh. Acting lets me share my experience with you.

WHAT IS YOUR PROCESS?
I read the script several times over, research everything I don't know and everything I should know more of, find the places in me that are the same as the character, and the places in me that are different, and then bridge the gaps. I then create memories and backstory, history for the character. I don't say a single line without knowing what it means in plain English, knowing what it means to her, knowing what it means to me. I spend time with her alone in my room, and on walks, and drives. And then, I show up on set, breathe, and let it all go.

WHO DO YOU RANK AMONG YOUR FAVORITE THESPIANS AND WHAT GENRE OF FILMS ARE YOU MOST DRAWN TO?
Of course, the great Heather Headley and Audra McDonald. I recently saw Heather in “The Color Purple” on Broadway - it was the best show I’ve ever seen. Extraordinary. I fell in love with Danielle Brooks that night! I already love her in “Orange Is the New Black”, so to then see her as ‘Sofia' blew me out of the water. She killed it. And while we're talking about “The Color Purple”, you all already knew Cynthia Erivo is fierce. I am most drawn to sad, dark, depressing, slow films. Ha! As well as the underdog rising story, and the coming of age story. Some of my favorite films are “Love and Basketball”, “An Education”, and “Stand By Me”.

CAN WE TALK ABOUT “THE LEFTOVERS”, HOW IS IT WORKING WITH THE CAST?
Working with the cast of “The Leftovers” is an absolute dream. I feel such an opportunity doesn't come around all that often. Not only is everyone exceptionally talented, they are all kind, loving, giving, hilarious people. Nothing compares to that cast and they have my heart.

AND YOU’RE ABOUT TO EMBARK ON A NEW PROJECT BASED ON THE FICTIONAL LIFE OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, WHAT ASPECTS OF SHAKESPEARE’S WORK APPEALS TO YOU THE MOST?
I love that Shakespeare's work was so feminist for his time - he had an extensive number of female characters, many of whom were strong, fierce, either independent or working to be so. I'm in awe of his mastery of language. Every line of dialogue is a line of music — speaking the words feels like eating chocolate or singing a beautiful song.

HOW DO YOU SPEND A DAY AWAY FROM WORK?
I create a day of work.

WHAT IS A FUN FACT ABOUT YOU THAT PEOPLE MAY NOT BE AWARE OF?
My middle name (Savoy) is a brand of toilet paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment